• Monolithic cross. 0

Monolithic cross.

is sometimes discovered in the heart of cities or the bend of a country road, one of these large monolithic cross branches patty, great features, one of the finest examples of the region is located in the town of Landéhen. In the country of Moncontour, note the famous cross Oulot of "St. Queneuc" in Quessoy, with its small neighbor of the "Grand Clos", the Cross Maillard still Quessoy, that of St Germain near "Beau Soleil "in Hénon, or that of" St. Meux "in Plémy.

These crosses are sometimes referred to as "Merovingian" or "Carolingian", and we do not hesitate to approach a hypothetical victory over the Vikings. At the outset, let's say these qualifiers, Merovingian or Carolingian, are inappropriate. Certainly, in the early tenth century Britain through a dark period due to Viking invasions, the Normans ("Northmen") Alain Barbetorte young heir to the kingdom of Britain, manages to push 940 shortly before the end of a long campaign Dol and Saint-Brieuc (Cf site" camp Péran "in Plédran) to Nantes. Or give these cross any Merovingian origin back to them within the time frame of the sixth to the eighth century. We are past the time of the Norman invasions! Furthermore, recent studies have shown that these crosses are rarelyprior to the twelfth century, and thirteenth for cross epitaph. Finally, the very abundance of these crosses is a last argument reversing these popular legends. They are therefore in no case any of a hypothetical battle against Brittany Norman witnesses.

Monolithic cross patty branches to bear witness to the Christian conquest of the French countryside in the eleventh to thirteenth centuries. In the harshest most remote regions,Also, communities seized a fragment of territory they will use to be cleared, clear, and some manage to raise a chapel there to develop a village, as Langast with the monks of Dol. A Hénon, located along the road to "Beau Soleil" at the location of a missing chapel, said cross "Saint-Germain" impresses by its size, it's about that A. Houssaye, in his work on Moncontour (1900), reportedthe legend of a victory over the Vikings. It marked the entourage of the former chapel of St Germain and St Leonard, destroyed around 1950. The cross of St. Meux in Plémy ​​probably indicates the location of the primitive sanctuary Plémy, dedicated to St. Maioch (or saint Meux, Better, who gave the name "Plou Maioch" which resulted in "Plémy"); small and mutilated , it is nonetheless an interesting account of the founding and evolution of the parishes. The most remarkableis undoubtedly the one that occupies the center of the crossroads around which grew the village of Saint-Queneuc in Quessoy. This place was once a dependency of the abbey of Saint-Magloire Dinan, near Dinan, whose foundation was encouraged by ... Nominoë. He did not need more to allow some to assume that author "was erected to celebrate the victory of Trans", another battle (historically equally dubious than others)whereby Breton finally defeated the Normans in 939. Records evoke the name of "cross Oulot" no one can give details on the origin of the name. This is the most spectacular example visible in the Country Moncontour.

Author: Bertrand LHOTELLIER 03-10-2002

CityPays de Moncontour